Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The same thing, but different.

There's a girl sitting here in the library where I work. She's using the public computer to search for universities and checking out what programs the different schools are offering. She's going to school!

She's older than most people entering college, so I assume she's has a good long break since high school, experienced a bunch of life, and is excited about the opportunity to spend the time at college, go into a new career, and experience a big change of lifestyle than what she's probably used to.

I am similar is a way. I am just as eagerly scouring the web, but for information on the boat I want to build, materials, techniques, sailing, anything. I am ordering tomes on celestial navigation and coastal piloting, cooking and eating exotic foods that I've not heard of. I am excited about a change in life as well. We're both seeking desperately, eager for what the future will bring us as a reward for our efforts and desire.

The only difference is the goal. This woman wants to go into a new career as a journalist, have an interesting job, and maybe make a name for herself. Whether she wants to travel or not, I don't know, but it's not the point really.

I want to sail off into oblivion, never to be heard from again. I want to exit this shrinking nation while the going is good and never look back. Maybe one day I'll write about where I went and what I did, on some internet forum or in a magazine, but it's not a goal, it's just what I might do one day, if I think the things I saw were worth recording.

She wants to dig her roots deeper into society with a professional career. I want to uproot and drift off over the horizon, and be lost to memory.
Hopefully we both get what we're seeking, and finally be content.

No comments: